What’s On Our Mind
Colic Calm’s Blog
Sleep deprived–that’s how Brandy describes her household before Colic Calm arrived. Joshua was Brandy’s third child, and her first with colic and infant reflux. She was hit with a double whammy when he was born, and was at a loss on what to do. Brandy says, “Life before Colic Calm was so stressful! I had never had a baby with colic and didn’t know what to do for him. He cried all day and all night from gas pains, and then he would spit up from being so upset and you could see the agony in his eyes, because it burned. Everyone including my other 2 children were sleep deprived because all Joshua did was cry.”
Joshua needed relief, and he needed it fast. By the time he was four weeks old Brandy had Continue reading
Kevin is my second child and he was born prematurely at 36 weeks. I knew we where going to have complications because I was diagnosed with a Single Umbilical Artery (SUA), which means that instead of a three vessels umbilical cord my son only had two vessels. My baby had a 75% chance of being a normal baby and 25% that he would have a birth defect such as heart defects, gastrointestinal tract abnormalities and problems with the central nervous system. My husband and I are very Blessed that he was, for the most part, Continue reading
I recently came across a book review in the online journal, The Jerusalem Post. It was the title that caught my eye, “How to Cope With A Crybaby.” Now, I know that there can be a little lost in translation, but I thought the title was a bit cruel–though I’m sure that wasn’t the intention. The book, written in Hebrew, is called Lama Tinokot Bochim? (Why Do Babies Cry?,www.kingbooks.co.il) and, as the review says, it “. . . focuses specifically on how to reduce babies’ crying – which is probably what makes the parenting of newborns most difficult.”
Reading on, the author of the review says that, “While most of the advice they give is scientifically based, they include some techniques such as Bach flowers and other essences, chiropractic, craniosacral, homeopathy, osteopathy and other complementary medicine techniques that have not been scientifically proven to help reduce crying.” Which I think Continue reading
My family is a household of bottled water drinkers. Although we’re adamant about using reusable water bottles (recently, we had three cases of 12 ounce bottles delivered to us as a promo and it was embarrassing to see so much plastic on our doorstep), we do get the eight gallon jugs delivered for our water cooler. I don’t know why this came to be–perhaps college–the water from our taps was awful. Dirty and chalky tasting, we did anything to avoid drinking it. Whatever the reason, today I am a bottled water drinker. So, when I came across an article which stated that Americans drink way too much bottled water (something that’s easily Continue reading
For Heidi, a resident of Westford, MA, being a new mom was tough–she was alone during the night because her fiance worked–there wasn’t anyone there to pass the newborn to so Heidi could get some downtime. But when her baby, Chloe, started to define “witching hour” literally–hard rose to a new level. Heidi says, “Her crying/screaming would start between 6:30 and 7:30 PM and would last about four hours. This became unbearable for me while my fiance was working nights.”
Understandably so–as those of us with colicky babies know, there’s nothing quite like holding your screaming baby for hours on end. It makes you lose your mind, and I was always grateful for my husband to take a turn with the quiet pacing and bouncing on a yoga ball so I could get some rest. Although Heidi lives down the street from her mom, who would come and help out, it’s still not the same as having someone there at all times.
Just as she thought things wouldn’t get any better they did. For Chloe, her saving grace came in the form of an amber glass bottle. Heidi’s sister’s mother-in-law knew about Colic Calm and gave some to Heidi to try. “In the beginning I would give it to her when she Continue reading
Each day, as I research different topics to write about for the Colic Calm Journal, I stumble upon hundreds of different sites, touting a mass array of information that can be mind blowing. Case in point–today I read about contaminants in bath products. Now, I don’t live in a cave. Not only am I the Editor of this site, but I also co-run a site for moms called Breezy Mama and thus, I feel like I do a pretty good job in keeping up with what’s safe for baby. So when I clicked on the Contaminants in Bath Products link, I was expecting the usual, “stay away from parabens” spiel that is about as common as BPA-Free. Instead, I read about “hidden carcinogens” and DID feel like I’d been living in a cave.
It turns out that many of the bath products you probably use (Johnson and Johnson’s for goodness sake!) have two known carcinogens, 1,4-dioxane and formaldehyde, in them. Manufacturers are using these ingredients in products meant for babies, who are 100 times more sensitive than adults. Organic Consumers.org claims that the industry could easily take out these known carcinogens, if they just made the effort to do so. It’s sickening.
You may be asking why bath products contain these ingredients in the first place. Campaign for Safe Cosmetics breaks it down like this, “1,4-dioxane is a byproduct of a petrochemical process called ethyoxylation, which involves using ethylene oxide (a known breast carcinogen) to process other chemicals in order to make them less harsh. For example, sodium laurel sulfate – notoriously harsh on the skin – is often converted to the gentler chemical sodium laureth sulfate by processing it with ethylene oxide (the “eth” denotes ethoxylation), which can result in 1,4-dioxane contamination.
Sodium laureth sulfate is just one common example. More than 56 cosmetic ingredients are associated with the contaminant 1,4-dioxane.”
I need to pay attention to what I’m buying instead of reaching for the product that I have a coupon for. If you’re like me and need some help on what to look for, check out the Cosmetic Skin Database, which rates hundreds of products–so you know exactly what you’re putting on your baby.
When I was pregnant with my first child, I never “bonded” with my OB. Each time I had an appointment, I felt that she didn’t know who I was, and I had to explain my matters all over again. During my actual labor, I barely saw her, and felt like the nurses did 90% of the work. So when I was pregnant for a second time, I considered having a midwife instead–I had a couple of friends who had used one, and they both had wonderful experiences. The local midwifery practice in my area delivered at a local hospital (a home birth is something that I would never want–why stay at home when you can be pampered by nurses?), and had years of experience under their belts. A doctor would be there to back them up if needed. Why not?
Alas, all my plans fell part. Continue reading
If you’ve picked up a parenting magazine recently, you’ve seen the ad for the whooping cough vaccination. An adorable baby making a adorable face with the headline saying something like, “What Mom? You haven’t vaccinated me against whooping cough?” Bottom line, whooping cough–one of those diseases that seems like it should’ve been eradicated long ago–is back. And it’s scary.
Whooping cough is an infection of the respiratory system. Wikipedia defines it as: Pertussis, also known as whooping cough, is a highly contagious disease caused by the bacterium Bordetella pertussis. It is known to last for a duration of approximately 6 weeks before subsiding. The disease derives its name from the “whoop” sound made from the inspiration of air after a cough. A similar, milder disease is caused by B. parapertussis. Although many medical sources describe the whoop as “high-pitched”, this is generally the case with infected babies and children only, not adults.
Doesn’t sound Continue reading
Since summer has begun, I’m sure you, like me, have been inundated with emails that talk about sunscreen–what’s the best, what SPF do you really need, and what ingredients to look for. Even with these helpful emails, it’s still hard to understand exactly what to look for in a sunscreen. I recently interviewed two people in the business, and it was enlightening–but I still got confused. So, after poking around the mighty world wide web, I’ve found three articles that may help you out:
This week’s One Mom’s Story comes to us from Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Rebecca, being the wife of a military man, knew hardship. But when her baby came in to the world kicking and screaming, hard would go up a notch. . .
Being a military wife is, no doubt about it, difficult. Rebecca knows this firsthand–her husband was deployed during her pregnancy, and was lucky to be able to come home for the birth of their first child, Isaac. However, when Isaac was a mere two weeks old, duty called and her husband had to go. Rebecca found herself as a new mom, and, with nearest relative twelve hours away, alone. When her son developed terrible gas pains, she realized that life wasn’t getting any easier.
Rebecca describes the situation as this, “I have had horrible stomach aches my entire life and quickly found out that I had passed it down to my son. We played around with trying different formulas hoping to find something that would fix it but were having no luck. He was having horrible gas pains that would make him scream for hours. It was also affecting his bowel movements. His worst time was at night. He would Continue reading